The Nakupenda! Victor campaign is close to my heart because I've known Victor since he was born. He lives in Kamulu, which is where Made in the Streets (my all-time fave nonprofit [www.madeinthestreets.org] is located). Due to a birth defect, Victor has lived his whole life without the ability to urinate. Shortly after he was born, doctors "re-ducted" his urinary tract to allow urine to seep out of 2 holes that they created in his abdomen. His bladder is useless and he has to wear diapers all day. Due to this condition, Victor has and will always be unable to attend school. Earlier in the summer, Victor came to America with the help of Mending Kids International to have surgery. Read more about Victor's story on the back of the postcard (right image) and if you feel moved by it, please consider donating to help pay for the surgery at firstgiving.com/nakupendacampaign.
Now here's how I did the postcard...
• photo of Victor provided by Hung Le
• jpeg of white canvas from google images
• font: American Typewriter
• copy from Hung Le
1. Apply Earlybird Instagram photoshop action (free download here) to Victor's photo
2. Layer white canvas, 2 layers of Victor's photo (1 layer set to Multiply, 1 on top set to Normal and masked to show only Victor), Photoshop default heart (set to Multiply)
3. Add American Typewriter title + tagline. Adjust kerning and font size to fill the width of the photo
4. Layer copy (in 2 columns) over same white canvas
5. Add Photoshop default hearts and highlight rectangles (set to Multiply)
6. Don't forget the logos!
7. Order 500 postcards from Vistaprint
I live in Malibu, Calif.,